Henry County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Henry County, Alabama Facts
When was Henry County, AL Created?
Henry County was created on Dec. 13, 1819 and was formed from Conecuh County. The original county was vast in size, until its boundaries were reduced by the establishment of the counties of Pike County and Covington County in 1821, by Dale County in 1824, by Barbour County in 1832 and Houston County in 1903.
Henry County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Henry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Henry County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Henry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Henry County Health Department has Birth Records from 1931 , Death records from 1931.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Henry County, AL Census Records
What Henry County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Henry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Henry Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Henry Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Henry County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Henry County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Henry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Henry County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 101 W. Court Square, Suite A, Abbeville, AL 36310-2135
- Phone: (334) 585-3257
- Court Records: 1822
- Divorce Records:
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: P.O. Box 337, Abbeville, AL 36310-0337
- Phone: (334) 585-3257
- Marriage Records: 1823 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1819
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Henry County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Henry County, AL?
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Henry County Historical Society, PO Box 222, Abbeville, AL 36310
- ALHENRY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Henry County, Alabama. Interested individuals may want to check out the Henry County ALGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Henry County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Henry County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.