Pickens County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Pickens County, Alabama Facts
When was Pickens County, AL Created?
Pickens County was created on Dec. 20, 1820 as Picken’s County, and was formed from Tuscaloosa County. The boundaries were changed several times between 1820 and 1866 when its present boundaries were fixed.
What is the County Seat of Pickens County, AL?
The county seat was established at Picken’s Courthouse (later called Pickens and Pickensville) and moved to Carrollton in 1830 and in addition the county government website is http://www.alabama.gov/
What counties are adjacent to Pickens County, AL?
Bordering Counties are Lamar County (North), Fayette County (Northeast), Tuscaloosa County (East), Greene County (Southeast), Sumter County (South), Noxubee County, Mississippi (Southwest), Lowndes County, Mississippi (West).
Pickens County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Pickens County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Pickens County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Pickens County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Pickens County Health Department has Birth Records from 1903 , Death records from 1903.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Pickens County, AL Census Records
What Pickens County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Pickens County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pickens Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Pickens Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pickens Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pickens Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Pickens County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Pickens County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Pickens County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Pickens County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk’s department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it’s up to the person to carry out the research. There was record loss due to a courthouse fire in 1864 and 1876, all records destroyed.
- Pickens County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 370, Carrollton, AL 35447
- Phone: (205) 367-2010
- Court Records: 1876
- Divorce Records:
- Pickens County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: P.O. Box 370, Carrollton, AL 35447, Phone
- Phone: (205) 367-2010
- Marriage Records: 1876 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1876
- Land Records: 1876
- Pickens County, Alabama Public GIS Website
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Pickens County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Pickens County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Pickens County, AL?
A list of Pickens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pickens County Genealogical Society, 350 Springfield Rd, Gordo, AL 35466
- Carrollton Public Library, 205-367-2142
- Aliceville Public Library, 205-373-6691
- ALPICKEN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Pickens County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Pickens County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pickens County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pickens County
- Pickens County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Pickens County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pickens County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.