Winston County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Winston County, Alabama Facts
Winston County was established as Hancock County on Feb. 12, 1850 from territory formerly in Walker County. Renamed Winston County on January 22, 1858.
Winston County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Winston County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Winston County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Winston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Winston County Health Department has Birth Records from 1888-1918 , Death records from 1888-1918.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Winston County, AL Census Records
What Winston County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Winston County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Winston Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Winston Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winston Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Winston County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Winston County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Winston County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Winston County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Winston County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 27, Double Springs, AL 35553
- Phone: (205) 489-5219
- Court Records: 1892
- Divorce Records:
- Winston County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: P.O. Box 309, Double Springs, AL 35553-0309
- Phone: (205) 489-5219
- Marriage Records: 1891 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1891
- Land Records: 1891
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- Winston County USGenWeb Archives Project
- BLM Land Records
Winston County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Winston County, AL?
A list of Winston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Winston County Genealogical Society, PO Box 112, Double Springs, Al. 35553
- Houston Historical Society
- Free State of Winston Historical Society, Box 26, Double Springs, AL 35553-0026
- Haleyville Public Library, 205-486-7450
- ALWINSTO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Winston County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Winston County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Winston County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Winston County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Winston County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Winston County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.