Pope County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Pope County, Arkansas Facts
When was Pope County, AR Created?
Pope County was established on November 2, 1829 and was formed from Crawford County.
What is the County Seat of Pope County, AR?
The County Seat is located in Russellville (the county seat was at Scotia in 1830, moved to Dwight Mission, then to Norristown on the Arkansas River (no longer exists), Dover in 1841, and finally Russellville in 1887) and in addition the county government website is www.popecountyar.com/
Pope County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Pope County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Pope County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Pope County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Pope County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Pope Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Pope County, AR Census Records
What Pope County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Pope County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Pope Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Pope Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pope Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pope Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Pope County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Pope County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Pope County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Arkansas residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Pope County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at 100 West Main Street, Russellville 72801; (479) 968-7487, unless otherwise noted.
Pope County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Pope County, AR?
A list of Pope County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pope County Historical Association, 806 Knights Court, Russellville, AR 72801; 479-890-4989
- River Valley Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 830, Morrilton, AR 72110
- Museum of Prehistory and History, Arkansas Tech University Museum , Techionery Building – Museum, 1502 North El Paso Avenue, Russellville, AR 72801-2222; 479-964-0831, 479-964-0826
- Potts Inn Museum, 831 River Road, Pottsville, AR 72858; 479-858-1575
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Pope County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Arkansas Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arkansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pope County, Arkansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pope County
- Pope County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Pope County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pope County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.