Duval County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Duval County, Florida Facts
When was Duval County, FL Created?
Duval County was created on August 12, 1822 from Saint Johns County.
Duval County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Duval County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Duval County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Duval County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Duval County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Duval County, FL Census Records
What Duval County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Duval County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830 (as Florida Territory), 1840 (as Florida Territory), 1850, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Duval Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Duval Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Duval Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Duval County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Duval County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Duval County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Florida residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Duval County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Duval County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 330 East Bay Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202-2919
- Duval County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk
- Phone: (904) 630-2039
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Land Records: 1901
- Probate Records: 1905
- Court Records: 1901
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Duval County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Duval County, FL?
A list of Duval County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jacksonville Historical Society, 100-B Wharfside Way, Jacksonville, FL 32207; 904-396-6307
- Jacksonville Historic Landmarks Commission, 128 E. Forsyth St., Jacksonville, FL 32202; 904-630-1904
- Jacksonville Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 43010, Jacksonville, FL 32203
- Beaches Area Historical Society, P. O. Box 50646, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
- Riverside-Avondale Preservation, Inc., 2624 Riverside Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Southern Genealogist’s Exchange Society, PO Box 2801, Jacksonville, FL 32203-2801
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Duval County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Duval County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Duval County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Duval County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Duval County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.