TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Miami-Dade County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Miami-Dade County, Florida Facts
When was Miami-Dade County, FL Created?
Miami-Dade County was created on January 18, 1836 from Monroe County (originally named Dade County, renamed November 13, 1997). This county was named for the City of Miami and Francis L. Dade (c. 1793–1835), Major in the United States Army during the Second Seminole War.
What cities and towns are in Miami-Dade County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Aventura, Coral Gables, Doral, Florida City, Hialeah, Hialeah Gardens, Homestead, Islandia, Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, Miami Springs, North Bay Village, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Opa-locka, South Miami, Sunny Isles Beach, Sweetwater, West Miami Bay Harbor Islands, Cutler Bay, Golden Beach, Medley, Miami Lakes, Surfside. Villages Include Bal Harbour, Biscayne Park, El Portal, Indian Creek, Key Biscayne, Miami Shores, Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, Virginia Gardens.
Miami-Dade County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Miami-Dade County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Miami-Dade County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Miami-Dade County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Miami-Dade County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Miami-Dade County, FL Census Records
What Miami-Dade County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Miami-Dade County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840 (as Florida Territory), 1850, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Miami-Dade Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Miami-Dade Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Miami-Dade Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Miami-Dade County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Miami-Dade County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Miami-Dade County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Miami-Dade County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 73 West Flagler Street, Suite 242, Miami, FL 33130
- Miami-Dade County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (305) 349-7333
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Land Records: 1890
- Probate Records: ?
- Court Records: 1888
- Miami-Dade County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Miami-Dade County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Miami-Dade County, FL?
A list of Miami-Dade County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Black Archives History and Research Foundation of South Florida, 5400 NW 22nd Ave., Miami, FL 33142
- Dade Heritage Trust, 190 SE 12th Terrace, Miami, FL 33131
- Historical Association of Southern Florida, 101 W. Flagler St., Miami, FL 33130
- Genealogical Society of Greater Miami, P. O. Box 162905, Miami, FL 33116-2905
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Miami, 8405 SW 107th Ave. 313, Miami, FL 33173
- Coral Gables Historical Preservation Division, City Hall, 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, FL 33134; 305-460-5361
- Miami Springs Historical Society, P. O. Box 660022, Miami Springs, FL 33166
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Miami-Dade County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Miami-Dade County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Miami-Dade County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Miami-Dade County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.