Okeechobee County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Okeechobee County, Florida Facts
When was Okeechobee County, FL Created?
Okeechobee County was created on May 8, 1917 from Osceola County, Palm Beach County and St. Lucie County. This county was named for Lake Okeechobee, which was in turn is from the Hitchiti words for “big water”.
What counties are adjacent to Okeechobees County, FL?
Bordering Counties are Indian River County, Martin County, St. Lucie County, Palm Beach County, Glades County, Hendry County, Highlands County, Polk County, Osceola County.
What cities and towns are in Okeechobee County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Okeechobee.
Okeechobee County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Okeechobee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Okeechobee County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Okeechobee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Okeechobee County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Okeechobee County, FL Census Records
What Okeechobee County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Okeechobee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1920, 1930, 1940.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Okeechobee County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Okeechobee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Okeechobee County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Okeechobee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 312 N.W. 3rd Street, Suite 101, Okeechobee, FL 34972
- Okeechobee County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (863) 763-2131
- Marriage Records: 1925
- Land Records: 1887
- Probate Records: 1917
- Court Records: 1917
- Okeechobee County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Okeechobee County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Okeechobee County, FL?
A list of Okeechobee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Big Lake Family History Society, PO Box 592, Okeechobee, FL 34973-0592
- Okeechobee County Historical Society, 55 S. Parrott Ave., Okeechobee 34974
- Okeechobee County Genealogical Society of , PO Box 371, Okeechobee, FL 34973-0371
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Okeechobee County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Okeechobee County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Okeechobee County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Okeechobee County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Okeechobee County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.