TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Polk County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Polk County, Florida Facts
When was Polk County, FL Created?
Polk County was created on February 8, 1861 from Brevard County and Hillsborough County. This county was named for James K. Polk (1795–1849), the 11th President of the United States.
What counties are adjacent to Polks County, FL?
Bordering Counties are Lake County, Orange County, Osceola County, Okeechobee County, Highlands County, Hardee County, Manatee County, Hillsborough County, Sumter County, Pasco County.
What cities and towns are in Polk County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Auburndale, Bartow, Davenport, Eagle Lake, Fort Meade, Frostproof, Haines City, Lake Alfred, Lakeland, Lake Wales, Mulberry, Polk City, Winter Haven Dundee, Hillcrest Heights, Lake Hamilton. Villages Include Highland Park.
Polk County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Polk County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Polk County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Polk County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Polk County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Polk County, FL Census Records
What Polk County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Polk County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Polk County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Polk County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Polk County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Polk County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 9000, Drawer CC-1, Bartow, FL 33831 or 255 N. Broadway, Bartow, FL 33830
- Polk County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (863) 534-4000
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1862
- Probate Records: 1861
- Court Records: 1867
- Polk County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Polk County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Polk County, FL?
A list of Polk County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Polk County Historical Association, P. O. Box 2749, Bartow, FL 33830-2749
- Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library, 100 E. Main St., Bartow, FL 33830-4629; 941-534-4380
- Northeast Polk County Historical Society, 801 Ledwith Ave., P. O. Box 1507, Haines City, FL 33845
- Imperial Polk Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10, Kathleen 33849
- Historic Lakeland, Inc., P. O. Box 3347, Lakeland, FL 33802
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Polk County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Polk County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Polk County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Polk County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Polk County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.