TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Volusia County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Volusia County, Florida Facts
When was Volusia County, FL Created?
Volusia County was created on December 29, 1854 from Orange County. This county was named for the port of Volusia, whose etymology is uncertain; possibly derived from the Native American word for “Land of the Euchees,” the term for the area’s native inhabitants.
What cities and towns are in Volusia County, FL?
Cities and towns located in the County include Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach Shores, DeBary, DeLand, Deltona, Edgewater, Holly Hill, Lake Helen, New Smyrna Beach, Oak Hill, Orange City, Ormond Beach, Pierson, Ponce Inlet, Port Orange, South Daytona.
Volusia County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Volusia County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Volusia County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Volusia County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Volusia County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Volusia County, FL Census Records
What Volusia County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Volusia County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Volusia Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Volusia Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Volusia Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Volusia County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Volusia County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Volusia County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Volusia County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 6043, Deland, FL 32721-6043 or 101 N. Alabama Ave., Deland, FL 32724
- Volusia County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Phone: (386) 822-5710 or (386) 736-5915
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1869
- Probate Records: 1855
- Court Records: 1855
- Volusia County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Volusia County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Volusia County, FL?
A list of Volusia County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Volusia County Archives, 252 S. Beach St., Daytona Beach, FL 32014
- Volusia County Genealogical & Historical Society, P. O. Box 2039, Daytona Beach, FL 32015
- Genealogical Society of South Volusia County, 105 S. Riverside Dr., New Smyrna, FL 32168-7197
- Roots & Branches Genealogical Society of West Volusia County, 121 W. Rich Ave., DeLand, FL 32720
- Halifax Historical Society, 252 S. Beach St., Daytona Beach, FL 32114-4407; 904-255-6976
- Halifax Genealogical Society, 30 Beach St., Ormond Beach, FL 32174
- Ormond Beach Historical Trust, P. O. Box 2702, Ormond Beach, FL 32175
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Volusia County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Volusia County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Volusia County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Volusia County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Volusia County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.