Chatham County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chatham County, Georgia Facts
When was Chatham County, GA Created?
Chatham County was established on February 5, 1777 from Christ Church and St Philip Parishes.
Chatham County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Chatham County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chatham County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chatham County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Chatham Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Chatham County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Chatham County, GA Census Records
What Chatham County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chatham County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chatham County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Chatham County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chatham County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chatham County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
Chatham County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chatham County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chatham County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chatham County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chatham County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:133 Montgomery St, Savannah, GA 31401
- Phone: (912) 652-7878
- A Look at the History of Chatham Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Chatham County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: (912) 652-7224
- Land Records: 1785
- Court Records: 1783
- Chatham County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (912) 652-7265
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Probate Records: 1777
- Savannah, Georgia, Southeast Coastwise Inward and Outward Slave Manifests, 1790 -1860
- Chatham County Deed Books
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Chatham County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chatham County, GA?
A list of Chatham County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Bonaventure Historical Society, PO Box 5954; Savannah, GA 31414-5954; (912) 233-8121
- Coastal Heritage Society, 303 MLK Jr Blvd; Savannah, GA 31401-4217; (912) 651-6850.
- Coastal Museums Association; PO Box 1073; Savannah, GA 31402l
- Coastal Scottish Heritage Society, PO Box 31093 ; Savannah , GA 31410-8193 ; (912) 356-0491.
- Fort Pulaski National Monument, PO Box 30757; Savannah, GA 31410-0757; (912) 786-5787.
- Historic Savannah Foundation, PO Box 1733; Savannah, GA 31402-1733; (912) 233-7787
- Savannah Area Genealogical Association, PO Box 15385 ; Savannah , GA 31416-2085
- SCAD Department of Architectural History, PO Box 3146 ; Savannah , GA 31402-3146
Society for the Preservation of Laurel Grove, PO Box 10315; Savannah, GA 31412-0515; Hugh A. Bauer; (912) 231-8166.
- Thunderbolt Museum Society, 2702 Mechanics Ave ;Savannah ,GA 31401-4599 ;(912) 354-8913.
- Tybee Island Historical Society, PO Box 366 ; Tybee Island , GA 31328-0366 ; Cullen Chambers.
- Savannah Diocesan Archives, 601 E Liberty St; Savannah, GA 31401-5196; Gillian Brown; (912) 201-4070.
- Savannah Jewish Federation, PO Box 23527 ; Savannah , GA 31403-3527 ; Sharon Paz; (912) 355-8111.
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Chatham County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chatham County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Chatham County
- Chatham County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chatham County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Chatham County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.