Emanuel County, Georgia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Emanuel County, Georgia Facts
When was Emanuel County, GA Created?
Emanuel County was established on December 10, 1812 from Bulloch County and Montgomery County (portions of Emanuel County were used to create the following counties: Johnson (1858), Jenkins and Toombs (1905), Candler (1914), and Treutlen (1918)).
What is the County Seat of Emanuel County, GA?
The County Seat is located in Swainsboro and in the current county government website is ?
What counties are adjacent to Emanuel County, GA?
Bordering Counties are Jefferson County, Jenkins County, Burke County ( northeast), Candler County, Tattnall County, Bulloch County, Montgomery County, Toombs County, Laurens County, Johnson County, Treutlen County.
Emanuel County, GA Vital Records
Where can find Emanuel County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Emanuel County vital records can be found at the Georgia Department of Health which has copies for copies of birth and death records since Jan 1919, copies of marriage since June 9, 1952 to 1996 and a Divorce records index since June 9, 1952. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Georgia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Emanuel County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Emanuel Co. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Emanuel County Health Department can issue Birth, Marriage and Death certificates while you wait. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court for Divorce Records and the Probate Judge for Marriage Records.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Georgia Marriage Project
- Georgia, Births and Christenings, 1754-1960
- Marriage Records from Microfilm
- Georgia Marriages, 1699-1944
- Georgia Marriages to 1850
- Georgia Marriages, 1851-1900
- Georgia, Marriages, 1808-1967
- Georgia Death Certificates, 1919-1927
- Georgia Non-Indexed Death Certificates, 1928-1930
- Georgia Deaths, 1914-1927
- Georgia Deaths, 1928-1930
- Georgia, Death Index, 1933-1998
- Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
- Georgia, Deaths Index, 1914-1927
Emanuel County, GA Census Records
What Emanuel County, GA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Emanuel County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Emanuel County Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Emanuel County Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emanuel County Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Emanuel County Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
Emanuel County, GA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Emanuel County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Emanuel County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Georgia courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Georgia residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Emanuel County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Georgia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Emanuel County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 125 South Main St., Swainsboro, GA 30401
- Phone: (478) 237-3881
- A Look at the History of Emanuel Co. Courthouse in Georgia
- Emanuel County Clerk of Superior Court
- Phone: (478) 237-8911
- Land Records: 1812
- Court Records: 1810
- Emanuel County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 478-237-7091
- Marriage Records: 1812
- Probate Records: 1812
- Georgia, Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992
- County Tax Digests
- County Records Microfilm Index
- Inventory of the county archives of Georgia
- BLM Land Records
Emanuel County, GA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Emanuel County, GA?
A list of Emanuel County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Georgia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- Emanuel County Historic Preservation Society, PO Box 353; Swainsboro, GA 30401-0353; Bill Breedlove; (478) 237-6924
- Historic Preservation Museum, PO Box 190, Twin City, GA 30471; 478-763-2220
- DAR – Adam Brinson Chapter, 132 First Avenue, Twin City, GA 30471; 478-763-2077
- The Statesboro Regional Library
- Georgia State Archives – 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260; 678.364.3700
- Georgia Historical Society, 501 Whitaker Street, Savannah, GA 31401
- Georgia Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 54574, Atlanta, Georgia 30308-0575
Where can I connect with other Emanuel County, GA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Georgia Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Georgia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Emanuel County, Georgia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Emanuel County
- Emanuel County, Georgia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Emanuel County, GA?
The following links to Genealogy Resources associated to Emanuel County. These links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is basically a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.