Howard County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
Howard County, Indiana Facts
When was Howard County, IN Created?
Howard County was established on May 1, 1844 from Unorganized Land (originally named Richardville County, renamed in 1844). This county was named for Gen. Tilghman Howard, a U.S. Representative from Indiana .
What counties are adjacent to Howard County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Miami County (North), Grant County (East), Tipton County (South), Clinton County (Southwest), Carroll County (West), Cass County (Northwest).
What cities and towns are in Howard County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Kokomo, Greentown, Russiaville.
What Townships are in Howard County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Center, Clay, Ervin, Harrison, Honey Creek, Howard, Jackson, Liberty, Monroe, Taylor, Union.
Howard County, IN Vital Records
Where can find Howard County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Howard County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Howard County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Howard County Department of Health, 120 E Mulberry St, Kokomo, IN 46901; Phone: 765-456-2403 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
Howard County, IN Census Records
What Howard County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Howard Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howard Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Howard Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
Howard County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Howard County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Howard County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Howard County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Howard County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court’s permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk’s Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 104 N. Buckeye St. Room 114. Kokomo IN 46901
- Phone: (765) 456-2204
- Marriage Records: 1844
- Probate Records: 1844
- Court Records: ?
- Howard County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 220 N Main St, Room 330, Kokomo 46901
- Phone: 765-456-2210
- Land Records: 1846
- Howard County Treasurer’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper’s tax.
- BLM Land Records
Howard County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Howard County, IN?
A list of Howard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Howard County Historian, John Morr, 3497 W. 300 N., Kokomo, IN 46901; Home Phone: (765) 461-5978
- Greentown Historical Society, P.O. Box 313, Greentown, IN 46936; Phone: (765) 628-3800
- Howard County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 176, Kokomo, IN 46903-0176
- Howard County Historical Society and Museum / Seiberling Mansion, 1218 W. Sycamore St., Kokomo, IN 46901-4386; Phone: (765) 452-4314
- Kokomo Howard County Public Library, 220 N. Union St., Kokomo, IN 46901-4614; Phone: (765) 457-3242
- Russiaville Historical Society, P.O. Box 221, Russiaville, IN 46979
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other Howard County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Howard County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Howard County
- Howard County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Howard County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Howard County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.