TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Adams County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Adams County, Iowa Facts
When was Adams County, IA Created?
Adams County was established on January 15, 1851 (Organized in 1853) from Pottawattamie County and Unorganized Land. The county was named in honor of either John Adams, the second president of the United States, or his son, John Quincy Adams, the sixth president of the United States
What cities and towns are in Adams County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Carbon, Corning, Lenox, Nodaway, Prescott.
Adams County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Adams County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Adams County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Adams County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Adams County, IA Census Records
What Adams County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adams Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adams Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Adams County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Adams County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Adams County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 500 9th St, Corning, IA 50841
- Phone: (641) 322-4711
- Adams County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Land Records: 1853
- Adams County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1868
- Court Records: 1857
- BLM Land Records
Adams County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Adams County, IA?
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Adams County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 117, % Public Library, 603 9th Street, Corning IA 50841-1034
- Adams County Historical Society, 1203 Davis Ave, Corning, IA 50841-1126
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Adams County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Adams County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Adams County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Adams County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adams County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.