TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Humboldt County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Humboldt County, Iowa Facts
When was Humboldt County, IA Created?
Humboldt County was established on January 15, 1851 but was then legislated out of existence in January 24, 1855. The land was given to Kossuth County and Webster County. The county was re-established on February 26, 1857 from Kossuth County & Webster County but only with 12 townships The county was named in honor of Friedrich Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt (1769–1859), the famous German scientist, explorer and statesman
What cities and towns are in Humboldt County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bode, Bradgate, Dakota City, Gilmore City, Hardy, Humboldt, Livermore, Lu Verne, Ottosen, Pioneer, Renwick, Rutland, Thor.
Humboldt County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Humboldt County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Humboldt County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Humboldt County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Humboldt County, IA Census Records
What Humboldt County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Humboldt County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Humboldt Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Humboldt Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Humboldt Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Humboldt County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Humboldt County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Humboldt County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Humboldt County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 Main St, Dakota City, IA 50529
- Phone: (515) 332-1571
- Humboldt County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Land Records: 1855
- Humboldt County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1859
- Court Records: ?
- BLM Land Records
Humboldt County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Humboldt County, IA?
A list of Humboldt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Humboldt County Genealogical Society, 30 6th St. N., Humboldt IA 50548-1799
- Humboldt County Historical Association, PO Box 162 (mailing address), Humboldt, IA 50548; Phone: (515) 332-5280
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Humboldt County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Humboldt County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Humboldt County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Humboldt County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Humboldt County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.