TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Wayne County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wayne County, Iowa Facts
When was Wayne County, IA Created?
Wayne County was established on January 13, 1846 (Organized in February 13, 1851) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Anthony Wayne (1745–1796), the American Revolutionary War general
What cities and towns are in Wayne County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Allerton, Clio, Corydon, Humeston, Lineville, Millerton, Promise City, Seymour, Cambria, Confidence, Sewal.
Wayne County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Wayne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wayne County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wayne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Wayne County, IA Census Records
What Wayne County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wayne County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wayne Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wayne Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Wayne County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wayne County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wayne County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wayne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 S Franklin St, Corydon, IA 50060
- Phone: (641) 872-2264
- Wayne County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1851
- Wayne County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1851
- Court Records: 1873
- BLM Land Records
Wayne County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wayne County, IA?
A list of Wayne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Wayne County Genealogical Society, 304 North Franklin, Corydon 50060-1330
- Wayne County Historical Society, P. O. Box 104, 515 E Jefferson St, Corydon, Iowa 50060; Phone: (641) 872-2211
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Wayne County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Wayne County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Wayne County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wayne County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wayne County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.