TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Geary County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Geary County, Kansas Facts
When was Davis County, KS Created?
Davis County was established on August 30, 1855 as one of the original 36 counties and named for Jefferson Davis (1808-1889), at the time the U.S. Secretary of War, and later president of the Confederacy.
Name changed to Geary County on March 07, 1889. The county was named in honor of John White Geary (1819-1873), Union general in the Civil War who mainly fought in Kansas and Missouri, and who later became Kansas territorial governor.
What cities and towns are in Geary County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Fort Riley, Grandview Plaza, Junction City, Milford.
Geary County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Geary County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Geary County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Geary County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Geary County, KS Census Records
What Geary County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Geary County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Geary Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Geary Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Geary Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Geary County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Geary County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Geary County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Geary County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 200 E 8th Street, Junction City, KS 66441-0000; Phone: (785) 762-5221.
- Geary County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1905-11, Marriage Records from 1857 and Death Records from 1871-1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Geary County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1858. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Geary County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1860 and Court Records from 1861. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Geary County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Geary County, KS?
A list of Geary County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Geary County Historical Society and Museums, 530 N. Adams, Junction City, Kansas 66441; Phone: (785) 238-1666
- Search for Geary Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Geary County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Geary County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Geary County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Geary County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Geary County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.