TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Jewell County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jewell County, Kansas Facts
When was Jewell County, KS Created?
Jewell County was established on February 26, 1867 (organized in 1870) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Lt. Col. Lewis R. Jewell of the Sixth Kansas Cavalry, who died 30 Nov 1862 of wounds received in action at Cane Hill, Arkansas, on 28 Nov 1862.
What is the County Seat of Jewell County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Mankato and the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Jewell County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Nuckolls County, Nebraska, Republic County, Cloud County, Mitchell County, Osborne County, Smith County, Webster County, Nebraska.
What cities and towns are in Jewell County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Mankato, Jewell, Burr Oak, Esbon, Formoso, Randall, Webber.
Jewell County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Jewell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jewell County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Jewell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Jewell County, KS Census Records
What Jewell County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jewell County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jewell Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Jewell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Jewell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You’ll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Jewell County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jewell County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jewell County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jewell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 307 North Commercial Street, Mankato, KS 66956-2025; Phone: (785) 378-4040.
- Jewell County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1886-94, Marriage Records from 1871 and Death Records from 1886-94. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jewell County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1870. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Jewell County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1870 and Court Records from 1872. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Jewell County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jewell County, KS?
A list of Jewell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jewell County Historical Society, 118 N. Commercial, Mankato, KS 66956
- Search for Jewell Co. records at the Kansas State Archives (kshs.org)
- Kansas State Historical Society, 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka KS 66615-1099
- Kansas Genealogical Society, PO Box 103, 700 Avenue G and Vine Street, Dodge City, KS 67801
Where can I connect with other Jewell County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kansas Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Jewell County, Kansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jewell County, Kansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jewell County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jewell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.