Breathitt County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Breathitt County, Kentucky Facts
Breathitt County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Breathitt County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Breathitt County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Breathitt County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Breathitt County, KY Census Records
What Breathitt County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Breathitt County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breathitt Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breathitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breathitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Breathitt County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Breathitt County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Breathitt County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Breathitt County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Breathitt County Clerk
- Address: 1137 Main St., Jackson, KY, 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-3807
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1873
- Probate Records: 1873
- Breathitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Breathitt County Justice Center, 1131 Main St., Jackson, KY 41339
- Phone: (606) 666-5768 or (606) 666-4342
- Court Records: 1838
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Breathitt County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Breathitt County USGenWeb Archives Project
Breathitt County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breathitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Breathitt Co Historical & Genealogical Society, Breathitt Co Public Library, 1024 College Ave, Jackson, KY 41339
- Breathitt County Public Library, 1024 College Avenue, Jackson, KY 41339; 606-666-5541
- Breathitt County Museum, 329 Broadway, Jackson, Ky 41339; Phone: 606-666-4159
Where can I connect with other Breathitt County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breathitt County
- Breathitt County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBREATH. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breathitt County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Breathitt County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Breathitt County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breathitt County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.