Perry County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Perry County, Kentucky Facts
Perry County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Perry County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Perry County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Perry County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Perry County, KY Census Records
What Perry County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Perry County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Perry Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Perry Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Perry Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Perry County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Perry County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Perry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Perry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Perryd County Clerk
- Address: Main St., Hazard, KY, 41702
- Phone: (606) 436-4614
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1901
- Perry County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Perry County Hall of Justice, 545 Main St., P.O. Box 7433, Hazard, KY 41702-7433
- Phone: (606) 435-6000
- Court Records: 1831
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Perry County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Perry County USGenWeb Archives Project
Perry County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Perry County, KY?
A list of Perry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Perry County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc. ( Disbanded about 2000. All their records will now be found at the Perry Co. Public Library.)
- Perry County Public Library, 289 Black Gold Blvd, HAZARD, KY 41701; Phone: 606 – 436 – 2475
Where can I connect with other Perry County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Perry County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Perry County
- Perry County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYPERRY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- southeasternkentuckyroots. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky, cemeteries and southeastern Kentucky genealogy (e.g., Perry, Knott, Clay, and Clark Counties). You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southeasternkentuckyroots/ or by sending the following to southeasternkentuckyroots-subscribe@yahoogroup s.com: subscribe
What other genealogical resources are available in Perry County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Perry County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.