Winn Parish, Louisiana
Genealogy & Facts
Winn Parish, Louisiana Facts
When was Winn Parish, LA Created?
Winn Parish was established on February 24, 1852 from Natchitoches Parish, Rapides Parish and Catahoula Parish. The parish was named in honor of Louisiana state legislator Walter Winn .
What is the Parish Seat of Winn Parish, LA?
The Parish Seat is located in Winnfield and the parish government website is unknown
What cities and towns are in Winn Parish, LA?
Cities and towns located in the Parish include Atlanta, Calvin, Dodson, Sikes, Tullos, Winnfield.
Winn Parish, LA Vital Records
Where can find Winn Parish Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Winn Parish vital records can be found at the Louisiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records since July 1914. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Winn Parish Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Louisiana Birth or Death Certificate Application to mail.
The Louisiana State Archives has Birth Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 100 years from the end of the current calendar year. It also has Death Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 50 years from the end of the current calendar year.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Louisiana Marriage Project
- Louisiana, Births and Christenings, 1811-1830; 1854-1934
- Louisiana, Marriages, 1816-1906
- Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957
- Louisiana Marriages, 1718-1925
- Louisiana Marriage Records, 1851-1900
- Louisiana Marriages to 1850
- Marriage contracts of French colonial Louisiana
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920
- Louisiana Death Records Index
- Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1850-1875, 1894-1956
- Louisiana, Statewide Death Index, 1900-1949
- Southwest Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1840-1906
Winn Parish, LA Census Records
What Winn Parish, LA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Winn Parish guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Winn Parish Slave Schedules can be found for 1860. Winn Parish Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winn Parish Industry and Agriculture can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Winn Parish Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Louisiana Census Records Research Guide
Winn Parish, LA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Winn Parish Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Winn Parish. The years listed below are the first noted records with this parish. See Also Louisiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Winn Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 119 West Main Street, Winnfield, LA 71483
- Phone: (318) 628-3515
- Marriage Records: 1886
- Land Records: 1886
- Probate Records: 1886
- Court Records: 1886
- USGenWeb Archives for Winn Parish
- BLM Land Records
Winn Parish, LA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Winn Parish, LA?
A list of Winn Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Louisiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Winn Genealogical and Historical Society, P.O. Box 652, Winnfield 71483-0652
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society ,P. O. Box 12206; Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
- Louisiana Political Museum, 499 E. Main Street, Winnfield, LA 71483; (318) 628-5928
- Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, P.O. Box 94125
- Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70884
- Louisiana Historical Society, 5801 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
Where can I connect with other Winn Parish, LA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Louisiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Winn Parish, Louisiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Winn Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Winn Parish, LA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Winn Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.