TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Baltimore County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Baltimore County, Maryland Facts
When was Baltimore County, MD Created?
Baltimore County was created on June 30, 1659 as an original county from unorganized territory.
Baltimore County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Baltimore County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Baltimore County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Baltimore County, MD Census Records
What Baltimore County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Baltimore County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Baltimore Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Baltimore Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Baltimore Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Baltimore County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Baltimore County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Baltimore County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Baltimore County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Baltimore County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 Bosley Avenue, Towson, MD 21204
- Baltimore County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 410-887-2601
- Marriage Records: 1661
- Land Records: 1661
- Baltimore County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (410) 887-6680, (410) 887-6681 or (888) 642-5387
- Probate Records: 1666
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Baltimore County Land Records, 1665-1687
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Baltimore County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Baltimore County, MD?
A list of Baltimore County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Baltimore County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10085, Towson, MD 21204; (410) 256-4028
- Baltimore County Historical Society, 9811 Van Buren Lane, Cockeysville, MD 21030 – 5022, (410) 666-1878
- Catonsville Historical And Genealogical Section, P.O. Box 9311, Catonsville 21228
- Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society, P.O. Box 9235, 4 North Center Place, Dundalk, MD 21222; (410) 284-2331
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Baltimore County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Baltimore County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Baltimore County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Baltimore County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Baltimore County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.