TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Calvert County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Calvert County, Maryland Facts
When was Calvert County, MD Created?
Calvert County was created on July 30, 1650 from St. Mary’s County, Old Charles County and unorganized land (formed as Patuxent County from unorganized territory. Renamed Calvert County in 1658).
Calvert County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Calvert County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Calvert County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Calvert County, MD Census Records
What Calvert County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Calvert County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Calvert Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Calvert Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Calvert Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Calvert County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Calvert County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Calvert County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Calvert County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Calvert County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, Maryland 20678
- Calvert County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 410-535-1660
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Land Records: 1882
- Calvert County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (410) 535-1600 – Extension 2256 or (888) 374-0015
- Probate Records: 1882
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Calvert County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Calvert County, MD?
A list of Calvert County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Calvert County Historical Society, P. O. Box 358, 70 Church St., Prince Frederick, MD 20678 – 0358, (410) 535-2452
- Calvert County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9, Sunderland, MD 20689; (410) 535-0839
- Calvert Library (Main Branch), 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678; (410) 535-0291 or (301) 855-1862
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Calvert County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Calvert County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Calvert County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Calvert County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Calvert County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.