TOP FREE ANCESTRY DATABASES
Cecil County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cecil County, Maryland Facts
When was Cecil County, MD Created?
Cecil County was created on June 6, 1674 from Baltimore County.
Cecil County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Cecil County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cecil County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Cecil County, MD Census Records
What Cecil County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cecil County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cecil Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cecil Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cecil Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Cecil County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cecil County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cecil County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cecil County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cecil County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 129 E. Main Street, Elkton, MD 21921-5943
- Cecil County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 410-996-1021
- Marriage Records: 1674
- Land Records: 1674
- Cecil County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (410) 996-5330 or (888) 398-0301
- Probate Records: 1675
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Cecil County Courthouse History
- Nottingham, Cecil County, Maryland Quaker Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Cecil County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cecil County, MD?
A list of Cecil County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cecil County Historical Society, 135 East Main St., Elkton, MD 21921, (410) 398-1790
- Cecil County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 11, Charlestown, MD 21914; (410) 287-8793
- Old Bohemia Historical Society, Warwick 21912
- Port Deposit Heriage Ctr, 98 N Main St, Port Deposit 21904-1210
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Cecil County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Cecil County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Cecil County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cecil County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cecil County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.