Worcester County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Worcester County, Massachusetts Facts
What is the County Seat of Worcester County, MA?
The County Seat is located in Worcester and the county government was abolished on July 1, 1998. Though Worcester County still remains, the county governmenthas been “abolished” , their offices being put under the direction of certain state offices. Example: the Registry of Deeds offices in abolished counties are now under the direction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s Office; Sheriffs and jails are under the Secretary of Public Safety.
What counties are adjacent to Worcester County, MA?
Bordering Counties are Cheshire County, New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire (north/northeast), Middlesex County (east/northeast), Norfolk County (east/southeast), Providence County, Rhode Island (south/southeast), Windham County, Connecticut, Tolland County, Connecticut (south/southwest), Hampden County (west/southwest), Hampshire County, Franklin County (west/northwest).
Worcester County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Worcester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Worcester County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Worcester County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Worcester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Worcester, Massachusetts Burials, 1727-1859
- Vital records of Brookfield, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Worcester, births, marriages and deaths
- Vital records of Mendon, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- The birth, marriage, and death register, church records and epitaphs of Lancaster, Massachusetts : 1643-1850
- Vital records of Sutton, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Vital records of Sturbridge, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Berlin, Massachusetts to the year 1899
- Vital records of Milford, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Grafton, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Register of births, marriages, and deaths in the town of Milford, Massachusetts
- Vital records of Leominster, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Hardwick, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Vital records of Harvard, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Dudley, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Barre, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Holden, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Hubbardston, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Winchendon, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Warren (formerly Western), Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Petersham, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of New Braintree, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Millbury, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Northborough, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of West Boylston, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of the Town of Auburn, (formally Ward), Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Gardner, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Oakham, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of the town of Boylston, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Phillipston, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Dana, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Epitaphs from the cemetery on Worcester Common
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
Worcester County, MA Census Records
What Worcester County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Worcester County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Worcester Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Worcester Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Worcester Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Worcester County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Worcester County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Worcester County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Massachusetts residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Worcester County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Worcester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608
- Worcester County Register of Deeds
- Worcester County Clcerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (508) 770-0825
- Probate Records: 1731
- Worcester County Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (508) 770-1899
- Court Records: 1731
- Inventory of city and town archives of Massachusetts, no. 14, Worcester County.
- Worcester County, Massachusetts, Probate Index, Vol. 1 & 2 A – Z, July 1731-1881
- The old records of the town of Fitchburgh, Massachusetts
- The Proprietors’ records of the town of Lunenburg, Massachusetts, including Fitchburg and a portion of Ashby, 1729-1833
- Argument for the division of Worcester County before legislative committee
- Decision of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892
- BLM Land Records
Worcester County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Worcester County, MA?
A list of Worcester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Guide to the manuscript collections in the Worcester Historical Society (search.ancestry.com)
- Central Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 811, Westminster, Massachusetts 01473-0811
- American Antiquarian Society, 185 Salisbury Street, Worcester, MA 01609-1634; Phone: (508) 755-5221
- Boylston Historical Society, 7 Central Street, PO Box 459, Boylston, MA 01505; Phone: (508) 869-2720
- Fitchburg Historical Society, 50 Grove Street, Fitchburg, MA 01420; Phone: (978) 345-1157
- Grafton Historical Society, One Grafton Common, Grafton, MA 01519; Phone: (508) 839-0000
- Leicester Historical Society, 1136 Main St, Leicester, MA 01524; 508-892-9900
- Leominster Historical Society, 17 School Street, Leominster, MA 01453; Phone: (978) 537-5424
- Northborough Historical Society, 50 Main Street , PO BOX 661, Northborough, MA 01532; Phone: (508) 393-6298
- Paxton Historical Commission, 17 West Street, Paxton, MA 01612; (508) 798-5092
- Southborough Historical Society, 25 Common Street, PO Box 364, Southborough, MA 01772; Phone: (508) 229-8055
- Sutton Historical Society, General Rufus Putnam Hall, 4 Uxbridge Road , Sutton, MA 01590
- Worcester Public Library, 3 Salem Square, Worcester, MA 01603; (508) 799-1655
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Where can I connect with other Worcester County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Massachusetts Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Worcester County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Worcester County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Worcester County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Worcester County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.