Oakland County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Oakland County, Michigan Facts
When was Oakland County, MI Created?
Oakland County was created on January 12, 1819 from Macomb County.
Oakland County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Oakland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Oakland County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Oakland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Oakland County Michigan Vital Records 1800-1917
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Oakland County, MI Census Records
What Oakland County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Oakland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Oakland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oakland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oakland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Oakland County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Oakland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Oakland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Oakland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Oakland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1200 North Telegraph Road, Pontiac, MI 48341
- Oakland County Clerk
- Phone: 248-858-0572
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Oakland County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (248) 858-0608
- Land Records: 1821
- Oakland County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (248) 858-0260
- Probate Records: 1822
- Oakland County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (248) 858-0345
- Court Records: 1826
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Oakland County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Oakland County, MI?
A list of Oakland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Auburn Hills Historical Society Auburn Hills
- Birmingham Historical Society P.O. Box 223 556 W. Maple Rd Birmingham MI 48009; Phone: 248.530.1928
- Bulgarian Heritage Society 2706 Tyler Berkley 48072
- Clarkston Historical Society 6495 Clarkston Road Clarkston MI 48346; (248) 922-0270
- Ferndale Historical Society 1651 Livernois Ferndale 48220
- Franklin Historical Society P.O. Box 250007 Franklin MI 48025
- Highland Township Historical Society P.O. Box 351 Highland MI 48357
- Holly Historical Society 306 S. Saginaw St. Holly MI 48442; Contact: Greta Mackler – 248-634-6246 evenings
- Huron Valley Genealogical Society 1100 Atlantic Street Milford MI 48381
- Lyon Township Genealogical Society 27025 Milford Rd. New Hudson 48165
- Milford Historical Society 124 E Commerce St # 2 Milford MI 48381; (248) 685-73081
- North Oakland Genealogical Society Orion Township Public Library 825 Joslyn Rd. Lake Orion MI 48362; (248) 693-3000
- Northville Genealogical Society P.O. Box 932 Northville 48167-0932
- Northville Historical Society P.O. Box 71 Northville 48167
- Northwest Oakland County Historical Society 306 So. Saginaw St. Holly 48442
- Novi Historical Society P.O. Box 751 Novi 48050
- Oakland County Genealogical Society P.O. Box 1094 Birmingham 48012
- Oakland County Pioneer & Historical Society 405 Cesar Chavez Ave. Pontiac MI 48342; Phone: 248-338-6732
- Pontiac Area Historical & Genealogical Society P.O. Box 430901 Pontiac 48343-0901
- Rochester-avon Historical Society P.O. Box 80783 Rochester 48308-0783
- Springfield Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 203, Davisburg 48019
- South Lyon Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 263, South Lyon 48178
- Troy Historical Society 60 West Wattles Troy 48098
- White Lake Historical Society 7525 Highland Rd White Lake 48383
- Wixom Historical Society 49045 Pontiac Tr. Wixom 48096
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Oakland County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Oakland County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Oakland County
- Oakland County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Oakland County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Oakland County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.