Kittson County, Minnesota
Genealogy, History & Facts
Kittson County, Minnesota Facts
When was Pembina County, MN Created?
Pembina County was founded on October 27, 1849 (organized in 1852 then deorganized in 1853 from Unorganized Territory. On February 25, 1879 the county name was changed to Kittson County Organized in 1897). Part of the Pembina District until organization, the county also included the western portion of what is now Roseau County until 1894.
Kittson County, MN Vital Records
Where can find Kittson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Kittson County vital records can be found at the Minnesota Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth resords from 1900 and death records from 1908. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Minnesota for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Kittson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Minnesota, Births and Christenings Index, 1840-1980
- Minnesota, County Birth Records, 1863-1983
- Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002
- Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
- Minnesota, Divorce Index, 1970-1995
- Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
- Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990
Kittson County, MN Census Records
What Kittson County, MN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Kittson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Kittson Co. territorial and state censuses exist for the years 1849-1905.. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Minnesota Census Records Research Guide
Kittson County, MN Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Kittson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Kittson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Minnesota courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Minnesota residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Kittson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Minnesota Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Kittson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 410 S. Fifth Street, Hallock , MN 56728
- Phone: (218) 843-3632
- Kittson County Recorder
- Birth / Death Records: 1877 / 1881
- Marriage Records: 1881
- Land Records: 1879
- Kittson County Court Administrator
- Probate Records: 1899
- Court Records: 1897
- Minnesota, Will Records, 1849-1985
- Minnesota Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Kittson County, MN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Kittson County, MN?
A list of Kittson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Minnesota Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kittson County Historical Society, PO Box 100, 332 East Main St, Lake Bronson MN, Phone: 218 754-4100
- Red River Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 9284; 112 N University Drive Suite L116, Fargo, ND
- Northwest Minnesota Historical Center, Livingston Lord Library, Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN 56560
- Minnesota State Archives, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 • 651-259-3260
- Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul, MN 55075-1187
- Minnesota Historical Society, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102-1906 . 651-259-3000
Where can I connect with other Kittson County, MN Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Minnesota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Kittson County, Minnesota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Kittson County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Kittson County, MN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Kittson County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is simply a list which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.