Itawamba County, Mississippi
History & Facts
Itawamba County, Mississippi Facts
When was Itawamba County, MS Created?
Itawamba County was established on February 9, 1836 from Monroe County.
Itawamba County, MS Vital Records
Where can find Itawamba County, MS Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Itawamba County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
Itawamba County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
You can search online for Itawamba County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Itawamba County, MS Census Records
What Itawamba County, MS census records are available?
Itawamba County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Itawamba Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Itawamba Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Itawamba Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Itawamba Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Itawamba County, MS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Itawamba County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Itawamba County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Mississippi residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Itawamba County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Mississippi Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Itawamba County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 304 W Wiygul St, Fulton, MS 38843
- Itawamba County Chancery Court Clerk
- Phone: 662-862-3421
- Land Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1854
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Itawamba County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 662-862-3511
- Marriage Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1854
- Mississippi Court Records Research Guide
- Mississippi Court Records, 1799-1835
- Mississippi County Court Records
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951
- Spanish and British Land Grants in Mississippi Territory, 1750-1784
- Land Claims in Mississippi Territory, 1789-1834
- BLM Land Records
Itawamba County, MS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Itawamba County, MS?
A list of Itawamba County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Itawamba Historical Society, P.O. Box 7, Mantachie, MS 38855; (662) 282-7664
- Northeast Mississippi Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 434, Tupelo, MS 38801
- Historic Bonds House Museum, Corner of Church Street and Museum Drive, Mantachie, Mississippi
- The George Poteet History Center, Corner of Church Street and Museum Drive, Mantachie, Mississippi
- USGenWeb Archives for Itawamba County (usgwarchives.net)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Itawamba County, MS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Itawamba County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Itawamba County
- Itawamba County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Itawamba County, MS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Itawamba County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.