Bates County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bates County, Missouri Facts
Bates County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Bates County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bates County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Bates County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Bates County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Bates County, MO Census Records
What Bates County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bates County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bates Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Bates Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bates Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bates Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Bates County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Bates County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Bates County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Bates County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Bates County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 North Delaware, Butler, Mo. 64730
- Bates County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-679-3611
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1839
- Bates County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (660)679-5171
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court & Divorce Records: 1858
- Bates County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 660-679-3371
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1907 ( Permanent record of births, 1883-1886; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1907; Register of deaths, 1883-1893
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Bates County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bates County, MO?
A list of Bates County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bates County Museum/Historical Society, 100 East Fort Scott, Butler, MO. 64730; 660-679-4777; The BC Historical Society/Museum does not do genealogy. The Bates County Historical Society is the parent group that runs the museum, we deal in displays and artifacts. Any genealogy requests are handled through the Bates County Genealogy Society.
- Bates County Genealogy Society, 100 West Atkinson, Butler, MO. 64730; 660-679-4321
- Bates County Old Settlers’ Society , Route 4, Butler, MO 64730
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library , 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Bates County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bates County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bates County
- Bates County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Bates County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bates County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.