Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Hillsborough County was founded on March 19, 1771 one of the five original counties identified for New Hampshire in 1769. The county was named in honor of Wills Hill, 1st Marquess of Downshire (1718-1793), known in America as the Earl of Hillsborough, who served as the first Secretary of State for the Colonies.
The Hillsborough County Seat is located in Manchester & Nashua and the county government website is http://www.hillsboroughcountynh.org/. The county was organized at Amherst on March 19, 1771. In 1823 a number of towns were removed to become part of Merrimack County. Over several years ending in 1869, county administrative functions were moved from Amherst to the current seats of Manchester and Nashua.
Areas adjacent to Hillsborough County are Sullivan County, Cheshire County, Worcester County, Massachusetts, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Essex County, Massachusetts, Rockingham County, Merrimack County.
Cities and towns (date formed) situated in Hillsborough County are Amherst, Antrim, Bedford, Bennington, Brookline, Deering, Francestown, Goffstown , Greenfield, Greenville, Hancock, Hillsborough, Hollis, Hudson, Litchfield, Lyndeborough, Manchester, Mason, Merrimack , Milford, Mont Vernon, Nashua, New Boston, New Ipswich, Pelham, Peterborough , Sharon, Temple, Weare, Wilton, Windsor
Hillsborough Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hillsborough Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hillsborough Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There is free down-loadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Hillsborough County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Hillsborough County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- New Hampshire State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Antrim Historical Society PO Box 172, Antrim , NH 03440-0172, Website: www.antrimnh.org/Pages/AntrimNH_About/HistoricalSociety
- Barrett House/HNE, Phone: 860-928-4074 Forest Hall, Main St, New Ipswich , NH 03071, Website: www.historicnewengland.org
- Beaver Brook Farm & Transportation Museum, Phone: 603-673-9001 78 Brook Rd, Mont Vernon , NH 03057-1912, Website: beaverbrookmuseum.com
- Bedford Historical Society, Phone: 603-471-6336 24 N Amherst Rd, Bedford , NH 03110-5404, Website: www.BedfordhistoricalNH.org
- Bennington Historical Society, Phone: 603-588-4871 PO Box 50, Bennington , NH 03442-0050
- Brookline Historical Society PO Box 595, 17 Meeting House Hill Rd, Brookline , NH 03033-0595, Website: www.geocities.com/brooklinehistorical
- Currier Museum of Art, Phone: 603-669-6144 201 Myrtle Way, Manchester , NH 03104-4304, Website: www.currier.org
- Diocesan Museum, Phone: 603-624-1729 153 Ash St # 310, Manchester , NH 03104-4348
- Francestown Improvement & Historical Society, Phone: 603-547-3600 PO Box 147, Francestown , NH 03043-0147, Website: http://www.francestown.history.org
- Franco-American Centre, Phone: 603-669-4045 PO Box 994, Manchester , NH 03105-0994, Website: www.facnh.com,
- Frye Measure Mill, Phone: 603-654-6581 12 Frye Mill Rd, Wilton , NH 03086, Website: www.fryesmeasuremill.com
- Goffstown Historical Society, Phone: 603-497-4306, Fax: Address: 18 Parker Station Road, P.O. Box 284, Goffstown , NH 03045-0284, Website: www.rootsweb.com/~nhghs/
- Greenfield NH Historical Society, Contact: , Greenfield , NH 03047
- Greenville Historical Society c/o Marshall Buttrick, 240 Adams Hill Rd, Greenville , NH 03048-3005
- Hancock Historical Society, Phone: 603-525-9379 PO Box 138, Hancock , NH 03449-0138, Website: www.hancocknh.org/hhs
- Hillsborough Heritage Museum, Phone: 603-464-3090 PO Box 896, Hillsborough , NH 03244-0896, Website: http://www.historic-hillsborough-nh.org/
- Hillsborough Historical Society, Phone: 603-478-3165 PO Box 896, Hillsborough , NH 03244-0896
- Historical Society of Amherst, NH, Contact: PO Box 717, 17 Middle St, Amherst , NH 03031-0717, Website: www.hsanh.org
- Hollis Historical Society, Phone: 603-465-3935 PO Box 754, Hollis , NH 03049-0754, Website: www.hollis-history.org
- Hudson Historical Society, Phone: 603-880-2020 PO Box 475, 211 Derry Rd, Hudson , NH 03051-0475
- Lawrence L. Lee Scouting Museum, Phone: 603-669-8919 571 Holt Ave, Manchester , NH 03109-5213, Website: www.scoutingmuseum.org
- Litchfield Historical Society 168 Charles Bancroft Hwy, Litchfield , NH 03052-2467
- Lyndeborough Historical Society, Phone: 603-654-9054 1325 Center Rd, Lyndeborough , NH 03082-6111
- Manchester Historic Association, Phone: 603-622-7531 129 Amherst St, Manchester , NH 03101-1809, Website: www.manchesterhistoric.org
- Mariposa Museum of World Culture, Phone: 603-924-4555 26 Main St, Peterborough , NH 03485-2420, Website: www.mariposamuseum.org
- Mason Historical Society, Phone: 603-878-2070 16 Darling Hill Rd, Mason , NH 03048-9600,
- Merrimack Historical Society PO Box 1525, 520 Boston Post Rd, Merrimack , NH 03054-1525, Website: merrimackhistory.org
- Milford Historical Society, Phone: 603-673-3385 PO Box 609, Milford , NH 03055-0609, Website: www.milfordhistory.com
- Mont Vernon Historical Society, Phone: 603-673-2886 PO Box 15, Mont Vernon , NH 03057-0015appt., Admission free,
- New Boston Historical Society, Phone: 603-487-3379 Central Sq, New Boston , NH 03070, Website: www.newbostonhistoricalsociety.com/
- New Ipswich Historical Society, Contact:, Phone: 603-878-4450 PO Box 422, New Ipswich , NH 03071-0422, Website: www.newipswich.org
- Pelham Historical Society, Contact: William T. Hayes, 5 Main St, Pelham , NH 03076-3722, Website: www.pelhamnhhistory.org
- Peterborough Historical Society, Phone: 603-924-3235 PO Box 58, 19 Grove St, Peterborough , NH 03458-0058, Website: peterboroughhistory.org
- Temple Historical Society, Phone: 603-878-3100 PO Box 114, Temple , NH 03084-0114
- The Nashua Historical Society, Phone: 603-598-5196 5 Abbott St, Nashua , NH 03064-2119, Website: www.nashuahistoricalsociety.org
- U.S. Marconi Museum, Phone: 603-472-8312 18 N Amherst Rd, Bedford , NH 03110-5404, Website: www.marconiusa.org
- Weare Historical Society PO Box 33, Weare , NH 03281-0033, Website: www.wearehistoricalsociety.org
- Wilton Historical Society, Phone: 603-654-9681 c/o Jane Bergeron, Treas., 120 Marden Rd, Wilton , NH 03086-5323, Website: www.wiltonlibrarynh.org/Heritage Commission/home.htm
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Hillsborough County (usgwarchives.net)
Hillsborough County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently forget about the great importance of Hillsborough County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Hidden away in New Hampshire courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of the many New Hampshire citizens.
The odds are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some elements of their lives in the Hillsborough County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The following facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and courtroom records are typically in Hillsborough County. The years indicated below are considered the first noted records data in this county.
- Hillsborough County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 22 Main St; PO Box 45; Newport, NH 03773-0045; Phone: 603.863.3450
- Hillsborough County Clerk of Superior Court has Court Records from 1773 and is located at 300 Chestnut Street, Manchester NH 03101; Phone: 603-669-7410
- Hillsborough County Clerk of Probate Court has Probate Records from 1773 is located at 30 Spring Street, PO Box 387, Nashua NH 03061-0387; Phone: 603-882-1231. There is a published index to the 1771-1884 probates.
- Hillsborough County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1773 and is located at 19 Temple Street, P.O. Box 370, Nashua, New Hampshire 03061-0370; (603) 882-6933
- Hillsborough County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records) from 1771.
- New Hampshire Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Hampshire for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Hampshire Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Hillsborough County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hillsborough County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a collection that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Hillsborough County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.