Hudson County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hudson County, New Jersey Facts
When was Hudson County, NJ Created?
Hudson County was established on February 22, 1840 from Bergen County.
What counties are adjacent to Hudson County, NJ?
Bordering Counties are New York County (Manhattan), New York, Richmond County (Staten Island), New York, Essex County, Union County, Kings County (Brooklyn), New York and Bergen County.
Hudson County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Hudson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hudson County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Hudson County, NJ Census Records
What Hudson County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hudson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hudson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hudson Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hudson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Hudson County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hudson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hudson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hudson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hudson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 583 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306
- Hudson County Clerk
- Address: 257 Cornelison Avenue, 4th Floor, Jersey City NJ 07302
- Phone: (201) 369-3470
- Land Records: 1840
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Hudson County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Address: 595 Newark Avenue, Room 107, Jersey City, NJ 07306
- Phone: 201-795-6378
- Probate Records: 1840
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Hudson County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hudson County, NJ?
A list of Hudson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Hudson County Division of Cultural and Heritage Affairs, 114 Clifton Place, Jersey City, NJ 07304, (201) 915-1212 or (201) 459-2070
- The Historical Society of Hudson County, organized January 17, 1908 : [publications] (search.ancestry.com)
- Hudson County Genealogical Society, 135 Irving St., Jersey City 07307
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Hudson County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hudson County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hudson County
- Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hudson County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hudson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.