Chenango County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chenango County, New York Facts
Chenango County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Chenango County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chenango County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Chenango County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Chenango County, NY Census Records
What Chenango County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chenango County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chenango Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chenango Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Chenango County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chenango County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Chenango County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Chenango County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chenango County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Chenango County Clerk
- Phone: (607) 337-1450
- Land Records: 1798
- Court Records: 1798
- Chenango County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (607) 337-1827
- Probate Records: 1798
- Chenango County Historian
- Address: 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY 13815
- Phone: (607)337-1845
- Index to wills of Chenango County, N.Y.
- Index of wills of Chenango County, New York, from 1797-1850
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Chenango County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chenango County, NY?
A list of Chenango County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- The Chenango County Historical Society, 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY 13815; (607) 334-9227
- Afton Historical Society, 116 Main Street, Afton, NY 13730, Phone: 607-639-1110
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Go-Won-Go Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Greene, New York
- Guilford Historical Society, Box 201, Guilford, NY 13780
- Norwich Civil War Round Table, Chenango County Historical Museum, 45 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY, 607-334-3313
- Unadilla Valley Railway Society and Museum, PO Box 791, New Berlin, NY 13411
- The Otis A Thompson-Local History Room, Guernsey Memorial Library, 3 Court Street, Norwich, NY 13815, (607)-334-4034
- Moore Memorial Library, 59 Genesee Street, Greene, NY 13778, 607-656-9349
- Norwich City Historian, Hale Street, Norwich, NY, (607) 334-1218
- Earlville Free Library, 6 North Main St., Earlville, NY 13332, (315) 691-5931
- Oxford Historical Society and The Oxford Historical Museum, 1 Depot Street, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 821-1223
- Oxford Memorial Library, Fort Hill Park, Oxford, NY 13830, (607) 843-6146
- Afton Museum, Afton, NY, 607-639-1625
- Coventry Museum, Coventry, NY, 607-656-9517
- Unadilla Valley Historical Museum/Mt Upton Historical Society, Route 8, PO Box 135, Mt Upton, NY 13809, 607-764-8375
- Norwich Pharmacal Co. Museum, Eaton Center, 19 Eaton Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815, 607-334-4839
- Plymouth Historical Society Depot, Plymouth, NY, 607-334-9721
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Chenango County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chenango County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Chenango County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chenango County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chenango County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.