Onondaga County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Onondaga County, New York Facts
When was Onondaga County, NY Created?
Onondaga County was created on March 5, 1794 from Herkimer County.
Onondaga County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Onondaga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Onondaga County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Onondaga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
You can also get Vital Records from the Onondaga County Health Department, 421 Montgomery St # 20, Syracuse, NY 13202; (315) 435-3241; Your request must clearly state “For Genealogical Purposes Only.”
Onondaga County, NY Census Records
What Onondaga County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Onondaga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Onondaga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Onondaga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Onondaga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Onondaga County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Onondaga County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Onondaga County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Onondaga County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Onondaga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 Montgomery Street, Syracuse, NY 13020
- Onondaga County Clerk
- Phone: (315) 435-2227
- Land Records: 1784
- Court Records: 1784
- Onondaga County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 505 South State St., Syracuse, N.Y. 13202-2104
- Phone: (315) 671-2700
- Probate Records: 1796
- Onondaga County Historian
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Salina, New York, Records, 1805-1969
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Onondaga County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Onondaga County, NY?
A list of Onondaga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Onondaga Historical Association, 321 Montgomery St., Syracuse, NY. 13202; 315-428-1864
- Syracuse Chapter Empire State Society Sons of the American Revolution
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Onondaga Historical Association Museum and Research Center, 321 Montgomery St., Syracuse, NY. 13202, Phone: 315-428-1864; Research Center and Online Database of archival holdings. Research service for remote patrons available for a fee. Vertical files include biographical and genealogical information as well as town files for all towns in Onondaga County.
- Onondaga County Public Library, The Galleries of Syracuse , 447 S. Salina St., Syracuse, NY 13202, Phone: 315–435–1900; Newspapers, Histories, Maps, Atlases, Directories
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Onondaga County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Onondaga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Onondaga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Onondaga County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Onondaga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.