Otsego County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Otsego County, New York Facts
Otsego County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Otsego County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Otsego County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Otsego County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Marriages taken from the Otsego herald & western advertiser and Freeman’s journal
- Deaths taken from the Otsego herald & western advertiser and Freeman’s journal
- Record of births and baptisms, 1797-1827
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Otsego County, NY Census Records
What Otsego County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Otsego County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Otsego Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Otsego Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Otsego Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Otsego County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Otsego County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Otsego County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Otsego County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Otsego County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 197 Main Street, Cooperstown, NY 13326
- Otsego County Clerk
- Phone: 607-547-4276
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Otsego County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 607–547–4213
- Probate Records: 1791
- Otsego County Historian
- Address: 185 Tuscan Road, Worcester, NY 12197
- Phone: 607-397-9705
- Abstracts of wills of Otsego County, N.Y. : copied from original wills at Surrogate’s Office, Cooperstown, N.Y.
- Index of wills of Otsego County, New York, from 1792-1850
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Otsego County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Otsego County, NY?
A list of Otsego County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Otsego County Repositories, 11 Ford Avenue, Oneonta, NY 13820, Phone: 800–895–1648
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- Town of Middlefield Historical Association, PO Box 348, Cooperstown, NY 13326
- Huntington Memorial Library, 62 Chestnut Street, Oneonta, New York 13820, Phone: 607-432-1980; Huntington Memorial Library is an authorized branch of the Family History Library of the Genealogical Society of Utah. Patrons may borrow genealogical and historical materials on microfilm from the Family History Library. The Library holds over two million rolls of microfilm containing copies of original records from around the world.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Otsego County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Otsego County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Otsego County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Otsego County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Otsego County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.