Rensselaer County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Rensselaer County, New York Facts
When was Rensselaer County, NY Created?
Rensselaer County was created on February 07, 1791 from Albany County.
What counties are adjacent to Rensselaer County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Washington County, Bennington County, VT, Berkshire County, MA, Columbia County, Greene County, Albany County, Saratoga County .
Rensselaer County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Rensselaer County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Rensselaer County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Rensselaer County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Rensselaer County, NY Census Records
What Rensselaer County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Rensselaer County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Rensselaer Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rensselaer Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rensselaer Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Rensselaer County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Rensselaer County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Rensselaer County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Rensselaer County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Rensselaer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 80 Second Street, Troy, NY 12180
- Rensselaer County Clerk
- Address: 105 Third Street, Troy, NY 12180
- Phone: (518) 270-4080
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Rensselaer County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (518) 285-6100
- Probate Records: 1794
- Rensselaer County Historian
- Address: 59 Second Street, Troy, NY 12180
- Phone: (518) 272-7232
- Rensselaer County, New York Records, 1908
- Abstracts of wills of Rensselaer County, New York : in the office of the Surrogate at Troy, New York, 1791-1850
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Rensselaer County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Rensselaer County, NY?
A list of Rensselaer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Rensselaer County Historical Society , 57 Second Street , Troy, NY 12180 , Phone: 518-244-6846, Research Library Collection
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Troy Public Library, Troy Room Collection, 100 Second St., Troy, NY 12180; Ancestry.com, Heritage Quest Online, Jewish Data, Proquest Obituaries subscriptions. Vital records, newspapers, city directories, censuses, church and cemetery records, published genealogies, immigrant lists, military records, school records, wills, biographies, ethnic research.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Rensselaer County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Rensselaer County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Rensselaer County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Rensselaer County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rensselaer County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.