Rockland County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Rockland County, New York Facts
When was Rockland County, NY Created?
Rockland County was created on February 23, 1798 from Orange County.
Rockland County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Rockland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Rockland County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Rockland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Rockland County, NY Census Records
What Rockland County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Rockland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Rockland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rockland Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rockland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Rockland County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Rockland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Rockland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Rockland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Rockland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 South Main Street, New City, New York
- Rockland County Clerk
- Phone: 845–638–5070
- Land Records: 1798
- Court Records: 1798
- Rockland County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 914–638–5330
- Probate Records: 1798
- Rockland County Historian
- Address: 120 Wayne Ave, Suffern, NY 10901
- Phone: 845–357–6383
- Abstracts of wills of Rockland County, New York
- Abstracts of wills of Rockland County, New York, 1786-1845
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Rockland County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Rockland County, NY?
A list of Rockland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Rockland County, Genealogical Society, 20 Zukor Road, New City 10956
- Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Road , New City, NY 10956 , Phone:845-634-9629
- Rockland County Archivist, Peter J. Scheibner , Building S, Sanatorium Rd., Pomona, NY 10970, Phone: 845–364-3670; Collection: The archivist has the Rockland County Archives collection
- Rockland Room, New City Library, 220 North Main Street, New City, NY 10956, 845-634-4997 ext. 139; Large book collection, family files, subscription genealogy sites.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Rockland County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Rockland County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Rockland County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Rockland County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Rockland County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.