Tioga County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Tioga County, New York Facts
When was Tioga County, NY Created?
Tioga County was created on February 16, 1791 from Montgomery County.
Tioga County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Tioga County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Tioga County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Tioga County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Tioga County, NY Census Records
What Tioga County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Tioga County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Tioga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Tioga County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Tioga County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Tioga County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tioga County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Tioga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 Court St., Owego, NY 13827
- Tioga County Clerk
- Address: 16 Court Street, PO Box 307, Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: 607-687-8660
- Land Records: 1791
- Court Records: 1791
- Tioga County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (607) 687-1303
- Probate Records: 1798
- Tioga County Historian
- Address: 16 Court Street, P.O. Box 307 (Mailing address), Owego, NY 13827
- Phone: (607) 687-8646
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Tioga County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Tioga County, NY?
A list of Tioga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Tioga County Historical Society Museum and Genealogical Committee, 110-112 Front St., Owego, NY 13827, Phone: (607) 687-2460; 300,000 index card index to censuses, newspapers, family Bibles, family folders, local histories, published genealogies.
- Finger Lakes Genealogical Society, PO Box 581, Seneca Falls, New York 13148
- Crooked Lake Review, 6877 Van Amburg Road, Hammondsport, NY 14840; The Crooked Lake Review is a local history magazine for the Conhocton, Canisteo, Tioga, Chemung and Genesee river valleys, and for the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario regions of New York State.”. This website deals with stories, histories and information dealing with people, events, and places in relationship to the area.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Tioga County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tioga County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Tioga County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Tioga County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Tioga County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.