Cass County, North Dakota
Cass County was established on January 04, 1873 from Dakota Territory.
Townships include Fargo, West Fargo, Horace, Casselton, Mapleton, Harwood, Kindred, Reile’s Acres, Argusville, Arthur, Oxbow, Hunter, Tower City, Davenport, Page, Leonard, Frontier, Buffalo, Grandin, Amenia, Gardner, Briarwood, Prairie Rose, North River, Alice, Ayr.
Cass County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cass Co. Cass Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Cass Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Cass Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Cass County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Cass County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Buffalo Historical Society, PO Box 14, Buffalo, ND 58011-0014, 701-633-5343
- Cass County Historical Society, P. O. Box 719, West Fargo, ND 58078-0719, 701-282-2822
- Casselton Historical Society, P. O. Box 86, Casselton, ND 58012, 701-347-4163
- City of Buffalo Historic Preservation Commission, c/o Bill Marcks, P. O. Box 126, Buffalo, ND 58011-0126, 701-633-5387
- Fargo Air Museum, 1609 19th Ave. N., Fargo, ND 58102, 701-293-8103
- Fargo Historic Preservation Commission, City of Fargo, 200 N. 3rd St., Fargo, ND 58102, 701-476-6751
- Fargo-Moorhead Heritage Society, 823 8th Street South, Fargo, ND 58103, 701-235-4112
- North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies & University Archives, North Dakota State University Libraries, NDSU Dept #2080, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050, 701-231-8914
- Pioneer Village of Ayr, 1514 3rd Avenue South, Fargo, ND 58007-1514
- Preservation North Dakota, 417 Main Avenue, Suite 402, Fargo, ND 58103, 701-356-3001
- Red River Valley Genealogy Society, c/o Linda Zeutschel, P. O. Box 9284, Fargo, ND 58106, 701-239-4129 or 701-282-2076
- Cass County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Cass County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Cass County (usgwarchives.net)
Cass County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Cass County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Cass County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Cass County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 9th St S, Fargo, ND 58103
- Phone: (701) 347-4785
- Cass County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1873
- Cass County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Cass County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Cass County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Cass County genealogy or family history related sites.