Columbiana County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Columbiana County, Ohio Facts
When was Columbiana County, OH Created?
Columbiana County was created on May 1, 1803 from Jefferson County . This county was named for the words Christopher Columbus, European explorer of the Americas .
What counties are adjacent to Columbiana County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Mahoning County, Lawrence County, Pennsylvaina, Beaver County, Pennsylvaina, Hancock County, West Virginia, Jefferson County, Carroll County, Stark County .
Columbiana County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Columbiana County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Columbiana County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Columbiana County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Columbiana County, OH Census Records
What Columbiana County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Columbiana County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Columbiana Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbiana Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbiana Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Columbiana County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Columbiana County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Columbiana County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Columbiana County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Columbiana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 S. Market St., Lisbon 44432-1255
- Phone: (330) 424-9511
- Columbiana County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 330-424-9516
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Columbiana County Recorder
- Phone: (330) 424-9517
- Land Records: 1803
- Columbiana County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 330- 424-7777
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Columbiana County USGenWeb Archives Project
Columbiana County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Columbiana County, OH?
A list of Columbiana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Columbiana County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 861, Salem, OH 44460-0861; meets at the Freedom Hall in the Salem Historical Society Home at the corner of Pershing and Broadway, Salem, OH, on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm.
- Columbiana County Historical Association, PO Box 221, Lisbon, OH 44432-0221; The Columbiana County Historical Association has a barn like building on the grounds of the Columbiana County Fair. The Columbiana County Historical Association maintains the building and contents. It is open during the week long fair and by request. The museum is filled with farm machinery and material dating back over 100 years. Both farm and household material is displayed. In the planning stages is a program for a newly designed county flag.
- East Liverpool Historical Society , PO Box 476, East Liverpool, OH 43920-5476; Phone: (330) 385-2550; The East Liverpool Historical Society currently is restoring the interior of the 1876 C.C. Thompson House to its original Victorian appearance.
- East Palestine Area Historical Society, PO Box 176, East Palestine, OH 44413-0176; Phone: (330) 426-2788; The East Palestine Area Historical Society maintains a log house built in 1840 by the Ryan family. The Society’s collections include local artifacts and photographs.
- Elkton Historical Society Inc, PO Box 55, Elkton, OH 44415-0055; Phone: (330) 227-3523; The Elkton Historical Society is a small historical organization. A festival is held each year during the third weekend in June to raise funds to keep the covered bridge, built in the early 1800s, in repair.
- Hanover Township Historcial Society, PO Box 361, Hanoverton, OH 44423-0361; Phone: (330) 223-1264; The Hanover Township Historical Society maintains its museum on the second floor of the former elementary school. The museum displays items of local historical interest and contains artifacts about the Sandy Beaver Canal of Columbiana County.
- Leetonia-Salem Township Historical Society, 4337 Grafton Rd, Leetonia, OH 44431-8705; Phone: (330) 427-3007
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Columbiana County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Columbiana County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Columbiana County
- Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Columbiana County
What other genealogical resources are available in Columbiana County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Columbiana County.