Gallia County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Gallia County, Ohio Facts
Gallia County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Gallia County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Gallia County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Gallia County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Gallia County, OH Census Records
What Gallia County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Gallia County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Gallia Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gallia Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Gallia Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Gallia County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Gallia County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Gallia County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Gallia County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Gallia County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 18 Locust St., Gallipolis 45631
- Phone: (740) 446-4374
- Gallia County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (740) 446-4612
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Gallia County Recorder
- Phone: 740-446-4612 Ext 246
- Land Records: 1803
- Gallia County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 740-446-4612 Ext. 221
- Court Records: 1811
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Gallia County USGenWeb Archives Project
Gallia County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Gallia County, OH?
A list of Gallia County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Gallia County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1007, Gallipolis, OH 45631; meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00pm at the Gallia County Probate Court. No meetings in July, August or December.
- Gallia County Historical Society, 412 Second Ave, Gallipolis, OH 45631-1130; Phone: (740) 446-7200; The Gallia County Historical & Genealogical Society discovers, collects, and preserves historical and genealogical material of Gallia County, making it available to the public through publications and events. The Genealogical Society maintains an ancestor chart.
- Esther Greer Museum/Archives, PO Box 12, Rio Grande, OH 45674-0012; Phone: (740) 245-7351
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Gallia County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gallia County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gallia County
- Gallia County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Gallia County
What other genealogical resources are available in Gallia County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gallia County.