Highland County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Highland County, Ohio Facts
Highland County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Highland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Highland County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Highland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Highland County, OH Census Records
What Highland County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Highland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Highland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Highland Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Highland Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Highland County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Highland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Highland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Highland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Highland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: PO Box 825, 105 North High Street, Hillsboro 45133-0825
- Phone: (937) 393-1911
- Highland County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (937) 393-9981
- Marriage Records: 1805
- Probate Records: 1809
- Highland County Recorder
- Address: 119 Governor Foraker Place, Suite 108, Hillsboro, OH 45133
- Phone: (937) 393-9954
- Land Records: 1804
- Highland County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: (937) 393-2422
- Court Records: 1805
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Highland County USGenWeb Archives Project
Highland County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Highland County, OH?
A list of Highland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Highland County Genealogy Society, 151 East Main Street, Hillsboro 45133
- Highland County Historical Society, 151 E Main St, Hillsboro, OH 45133-1450; Phone: (937) 393-3392; The Highland County Historical Society maintains the Highland House Museum. Built in 1844, it has been a private residence, a hotel, and a restaurant. Current displays include items relating to the history of Highland County.
- Southern Ohio Chapter, OGS, PO Box 414, Hillsboro, OH 45133; Southern Ohio Chapter, OGS meets at the Southern State Community College, Central Campus, Hillsboro, OH at 7:00pm on the second Thursday each month except January and February.
- Greenfield Historical Society, 103 S McArthur Way, Greenfield, OH 45123; Phone: (937) 981-7890;
- Lynchburg Historical Society, PO Box 495, Lynchburg, OH 45142-0495; Phone: (937) 364-2080;
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Highland County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Highland County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Highland County
- Highland County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Highland County
What other genealogical resources are available in Highland County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Highland County.