Jefferson County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, Ohio Facts
When was Jefferson County, OH Created?
Jefferson County was created on July 29, 1797 from Washington County. This county was named for Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), Vice President when the county was organized, future U.S. President, and principal author of the Declaration of Independence.
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Columbiana County, Hancock County, West Virginia, Brooke County, West Virginia, Ohio County, West Virginia, Belmont County, Harrison County, Carroll County .
Jefferson County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Steubenville City Health Dept, 312 Market St., P.O. Box 1427 Steubenville, OH 43952; 740-283-6050
Jefferson County, OH Census Records
What Jefferson County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 Market St., Steubenville 43952-2133
- Phone: (740) 283-4111
- Jefferson County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (740) 283-8554
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Jefferson County Recorder
- Phone: 740-283-8566
- Land Records: 1795
- Jefferson County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: (740)283-8543
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records, 1797-1940 – Birth and probate records from Jefferson County, Ohio. This collection is being published as images become available. An index is being created in cooperation with the Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society and will be published as it becomes available. Contact the county courthouse to get the case number for a deceased person.
- Jefferson Co. Land Records
- Jefferson Co. Court Records
- Jefferson Co. Wills
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Jefferson County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, OH?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society , 167 Main St, Bellville, OH 44813-1239; Phone: (419) 886-3571; The Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society meets monthly and presents a program of historical significance and has exhibits.
- Jefferson County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2367, Wintersville, OH 43953; Jefferson County Chapter, OGS meetings are quarterly, on the second Tuesday of each quarter, held at the Schiappa Branch Public Library, Mall Drive, Steubenville, OH. As of January 2008 the chapter will list cemetery tombstone inscriptions online, church records, veterans grave registration card indexes, post offices and post masters and much more! This OGS Chapter is concerned with preserving genealogical materials throughout the county and tri-state area. They focus strongly on preserving history by taking an active role in locating and restoring pioneer cemeteries, records, and materials of a genealogical worth.
- Jefferson County Historical Association , PO Box 218, Steubenville, OH 43952-5218; Phone: (740) 283-1133; The eighteen-room Jefferson County Historical Museum contains furniture, clothing, documents, books, and pictures highlighting Jefferson County. Included are the Jefferson County Riverboat Room, Transportation Gallery, and President’s Room.
- Jefferson County, Ohio GenWeb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County.