Chester County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Chester County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Chester County, PA Created?
Chester County was established on November 1682 as one of the three original counties.
Chester County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Chester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Chester County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Chester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Chester County, PA Census Records
What Chester County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Chester County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chester Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chester Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chester Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Chester County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Chester County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Chester County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Chester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 North High Street, West Chester, PA 19380
- Phone: (610) 344-6000
- Chester County Recorder of Deeds
- Address: 313 W. Market Street, Suite 3302, P.O. Box 2748, West Chester, PA 19380-0991
- Phone: (610) 344-6330
- Land Records: 1688
- Chester County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Address: 201 W. Market Street, Suite 1400, P.O. Box 2746, West Chester, PA 19380-0989
- Phone: 610-344-6135
- Court & Divorce Records: ?
- Chester County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Address: 201 W. Market Street, Suite 2200, West Chester, PA 19380-0989
- Phone: 610-344-6335
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1924 (1714–1923 is located at Chester County Archives and Records Service, Government Services Bldg., Ste. 80, 610 Westtown Rd., West Chester, PA 19382)
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Wills of Centre County, Pa., 1800-1853
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Chester County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Chester County, PA?
A list of Chester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Chester County Historical Society, 225 North High Street, West Chester 19380.
- Chester Co Archives and Records Service, 117 West Gray Str., West Chester, PA 19380
- Swedish Colonial Society, 371 Devon Way, West Chester, PA 19380
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Chester County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chester County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Chester County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Chester County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Chester County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.