South Carolina History & Facts
Marlboro County, South Carolina Facts
When was Marlboro County, SC Created?
Marlboro County was established on March 2, 1785 from Cheraws District.
What counties are adjacent to Marlboro County, SC?
Bordering counties are Richmond County, North Carolina, Scotland County, North Carolina, Robeson County, North Carolina, Dillon County, Florence County, Darlington County, Chesterfield County, Anson County, North Carolina.
Marlboro County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Marlboro County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marlboro County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Marlboro County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Marlboro County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Marlboro County, SC Census Records
What Marlboro County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marlboro Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Marlboro Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marlboro Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marlboro Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Marlboro County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marlboro County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Marlboro County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Probate estate records and marriage licenses up to 1950 are on microfilm at the Marlboro County Public Library for genealogy research and public viewing. We recommend using the library due to little space to work in the vault at the Probate Judge’s Office.
- Marlboro County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 Main Street, Bennettsville, SC 29512
- Marlboro County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 843-479-5610
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1787
- Marlboro County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds
- Phone: 843-479-5613
- Land Records: 1786
- Court Records: 1785
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Marlboro County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marlboro County, SC?
A list of Marlboro County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Marlborough Historical Society and Historical Museum, 123 S Marlboro Str, Bennetsville, SC 29512-4031; 803-479-5624
- Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission, 128 S. Marlboro Street, Bennettsville, SC 29512; phone: (843) 479-5624
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc., PO Box 1428, Marion, SC 29571-1428
- USGenWeb Archives for Marlboro County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Marlboro County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marlboro County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marlboro County
- Marlboro County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marlboro County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Marlboro County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.