Union County, South Dakota
Union County was established on January 07, 1864 from Unorganized territory.
Union County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Union Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Union Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Union County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County Historical Society, P.O. Box 552, Elk Point SD 57025
- Union County, South Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Union County, South Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Union County (usgwarchives.net)
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Union County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Union county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth. The state archives has court records including land transactions (1860—1929); marriages (1919—23); wills (1870—1910); probate records (1869—1962); justice dockets (1868—1903); and bonds and court judgment books (1876—1948).
- Haakon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 209 E Main St, Elk Point, SD 57025
- Phone: (605) 356-2132
- Union County Register of Deeds
- Marriage Records: 1866
- Land Records: 1862?
- Union County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1862?
- Court Records: 1862?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Union County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Union County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Union County genealogy or family history associated sites.