Bennington County, Vermont
Bennington County was created on February 11, 1779 as one of the original two counties.
Places adjacent to Bennington County are Rutland County, Windsor County, Windham County, Franklin County, Massachusetts, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, Rensselaer County, New York, Washington County, New York.
Bennington County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Bennington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Bennington County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bennington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bennington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bennington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Bennington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Bennington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bennington Historical Society & Museum, 75 West Main Street, Bennington, VT 05201; Phone: (802) 447-1571
- Dorset Historical Society, PO Box 52, Main St & Rte 30 Dorset, VT 05251; (802) 867-0331
- Landgrove Historical Society, PO Box 734, Landgrove, VT 05148; Phone: (802) 824-6624
- Manchester Historical Society, PO Box 363, Manchester, VT 05254; Phone: (802) 362-3708
- North Bennington Museum and Historical Society, PO Box 536, North Bennington, VT 05257; Phone: (802) 442-9193
- Historical Society of Peru, PO Box 73, Peru, VT 05152; Phone: (802) 824-5945
- Pownal Historical Society, PO Box 313, Pownal, VT 05261; Phone: (802) 823-5536
- Readsboro Historical Society, PO Box 125, 152 Glen Avenue, Readsboro, VT 05350; Phone:(802) 423-5432
- Rupert Historical Society, PO Box 84, Rupert, VT 05768; Phone: (802) 394-7864 or (802) 394-7738
- Russell Vermontiana Collection, Martha Canfield Library, PO Box 267, 528 East Arlington Road, Arlington, VT 05250; Phone: (802) 375-6153
- Shaftsbury Historical Society, PO Box 401, 3871 Vermont 7A, Shaftsbury, VT 05262; Phone:(802) 375-6376
- Stamford Historical Society, c/o Town Clerk, 986 Main Road, Stamford, VT 05352; Phone: (802) 694-1361
- Winhall Museum, PO Box 607, Bondville, VT 05340 ; Phone: (802) 297-2459
- Bennington County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Bennington County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Bennington County (usgwarchives.net)
Bennington County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Bennington County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Bennington County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Bennington County Courthouse, 207 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201; (802) 447-2700 Criminal 802-447-2727, has Land Records from 1782–1832 (county only) and Probate Records from 1778 to present. Bennington Probate District includes towns in the south part of the county and Manchester Probate District includes towns in the north part of the county
- Arlington Town Clerk, P.O. Box 304, Arlington, VT 05250; Phone: (802)375-2332
- Bennington Town Clerk, 205 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201; Phone: (802)442-1043
- Dorset Town Clerk, PO Box 0024, E. Dorset, VT 05253; Phone: (802)362-1178
- Landgrove Town Clerk, P. O. Box 508, Londonderry, VT 05148; Phone: (802)824-3716
- Manchester Town Clerk, P.O. Box 830, Manchester Center, VT 05255; Phone: (802)362-1315
- Peru Town Clerk, P.O. Box 127, Peru, VT 05152; Phone: (802)824-3065
- Pownal Town Clerk, P.O. Box 411, Pownal, VT 05261; Phone: (802)823-7757
- Readsboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 187, Readsboro, VT 05350; Phone: (802)423-5405
- Rupert Town Clerk, P.O. Box 140, W. Rupert, VT 05776; Phone: (802)394-7728
- Sandgate Town Clerk, 2366 Sandgate Road, Sandgate, VT 05250; Phone: (802)375-9075
- Searsburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 157, Wilmington, VT 05363; Phone: (802)464-8081
- Shaftsbury Town Clerk, P. O. Box 409, Shaftsbury, VT 05262; Phone: (802)442-4038
- Stamford Town Clerk, 986 Main Road, Stamford, VT 05352; Phone: (802)694-1361
- Sunderland Town Clerk, P.O. Box 295, E. Arlington, VT 05252; Phone: (802)375-6106
- Winhall Town Clerk, P.O. Box 389, Bondville, VT 05340; Phone: (802)297-2122
- Woodford Town Clerk, 1391 VT RTE 9, Woodford, VT 052019410; Phone: (802)442-4895
Bennington County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Bennington County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Bennington County genealogy or family history associated sites.