Chittenden County, Vermont
Chittenden County was created on October 22, 1787 from part of Addison County.
Chittenden County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Chittenden County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Chittenden County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Chittenden Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chittenden Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Chittenden Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Chittenden County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Chittenden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charlotte Historical Society, 4205 Ethan Allen Highway, Charlotte, VT 05445
- Chittenden County Historical Society, PO Box 1576, Burlington, VT 05402 ; Phone: (802) 985-3063
- Colchester Historical Society, c/o 5770 Roosevelt Highway, Colchester, VT 05446; Phone: (802) 878-2035
- Essex Community Historical Society, PO Box 8388, Essex, VT 05451; Phone: (802) 879-0849
- Essex Junction Historical Society, 11 Maple Street, Essex Junction, VT 05452 ; Phone: (802) 878-8654
- Hinesburg Historical Society, 591 Burritt Road, Hinesburg, VT 05461; Phone: (802) 482-2699
- Huntington Historical and Community Trust, P.O. Box 147, Huntington, VT 05462; Phone: (802) 434-5306
- Jericho Historical Society, PO Box 35, Jericho, VT 05465; Phone: (802) 899-4562
- Milton Historical Society, 13 School Street, Milton, VT 05468; Phone: (802) 893-1604 or (802) 893-2340
- Richmond Historical Society, PO Box 453, Richmond, VT 05477 ; Phone: (802) 434-3654
- Underhill Historical Society, c/o Underhill Town Clerk, Underhill, VT 05489; Phone: (802) 899-4561
- Westford Historical Society, PO Box 21, Westford, VT 05494; Phone: (802) 878-8890
- Williston Historical Society, PO Box 995, Williston, VT 05495; Phone: (802) 878-4875
- Winooski Historical Society, 20 Winooski Falls Way, #2, Winooski, VT 05404; Phone: (802) 655-6424
- Chittenden County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Chittenden County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Chittenden County (usgwarchives.net)
Chittenden County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Chittenden County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Chittenden County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Chittenden County Courthouse, 175 Main St, Burlington, VT 05401; (802) 863-3467, has Probate Records from 1795 to present.
- Bolton Town Clerk, 3045 T. Roosevelt Hwy., Bolton, VT 05676 ; Phone: (802)434-5075
- Burlington Town Clerk, 149 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401 ; Phone: (802)865-7000
- Charlotte Town Clerk, P.O. Box 119, Charlotte, VT 05445 ; Phone: (802)425-3071
- Colchester Town Clerk, P.O. Box 55, Colchester, VT 05446 ; Phone: (802)655-0812
- Essex Town Clerk, 81 Main Street, Essex Junction, VT 05452 ; Phone: (802)879-0413
- Hinesburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 133, Hinesburg, VT 05461 ; Phone: (802)482-2281
- Huntington Town Clerk, 4930 Main Road, Huntington, VT 05462 ; Phone: (802)434-2032
- Jericho Town Clerk, P.O. Box 67, Jericho, VT 05465 ; Phone: (802)899-4936
- Milton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 18, Milton, VT 05468 ; Phone: (802)893-4111
- Richmond Town Clerk, P.O. Box 285, Richmond, VT 05477 ; Phone: (802)434-2221
- Saint George Town Clerk, 1 Barber Rd., St. George, VT 05495 ; Phone: (802)482-5272
- Shelburne Town Clerk, P.O. Box 88, Shelburne, VT 05482 ; Phone: (802)985-5116
- South Burlington City, 575 Dorset Street, S. Burlington, VT 05403 ; Phone: (802)846-4105
- Underhill Town Clerk, P.O. Box 32, Underhill Center, VT 05490 ; Phone: (802)899-4434
- Westford Town Clerk, 1713 Vt. Route 128, Westford, VT 05494 ; Phone: (802)878-4587
- Williston Town Clerk, 7900 Williston Road, Williston, VT 05495 ; Phone: (802)878-5121
- Winooski Town Clerk, 27 West Allen Street, Winooski, VT 05404 ; Phone: (802)655-6419
Chittenden County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Chittenden County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Chittenden County genealogy or family history associated sites.