Clarke County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Clarke County, Virginia Facts
When was Clarke County, VA Created?
Clarke County was established on March 08, 1836 from Frederick County
Clarke County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Clarke County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clarke County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clarke County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Clarke Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936.
Another resource is the Clarke County Health Department, 100 North Buchmarsh Street, Berryville, VA 22611; Phone: (540) 955-1033
- Clarke County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96
- Clarke County, Virginia Births, 1878-96
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Clarke County, VA Census Records
What Clarke County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Clarke County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clarke Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clarke Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clarke Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Clarke County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Clarke County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Clarke County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
Clarke County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What other genealogical resources are available in Clarke County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clarke County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.