Snohomish County, Washington
Snohomish County was founded on January 14, 1861 from Island County.
The County Seat was Mukilteo (1861), Snohomish (originally founded as Snohomish City) (1861-1894), and Everett (originally founded as Port Gardner), 1894-present. The county government website is http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/
Snohomish County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Snohomish County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Snohomish County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Snohomish Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Snohomish Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Snohomish Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Snohomish County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Snohomish County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch , Western Washington University, MS-9123 , 25th St and Bill McDonald Parkway. Phone: 1-360-650-7930.
- League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations, P. O. Box 1773, Marysville, WA 98270
- Stillaguamish Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 34, 135 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington, Washington 98223-0034
- Sno-Isle Genealogical Society, PO Box 63, Edmonds, WA 98020-0063.
- Alderwood manor Heritage Association – PO Box 2206, Lynnwood WA 98036; Phone: 425-775-4694
- Snohomish County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Snohomish County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Snohomish County (usgwarchives.net)
Snohomish County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Snohomish County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Snohomish County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Snohomish County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 3000 Rockefeller Ave, Everett WA 98201-4046
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Snohomish County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1881 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1862
- Snohomish County Clerk
- Court Records: 1866
- Probate Records: 1876
Snohomish County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Snohomish County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Snohomish County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.