Stevens County, Washington
Stevens County was founded on January 20, 1863 from Walla Walla County. Ferry County and Pend Oreille County were were formed from Stevens in 1889 and 1911 respectively. The researcher may find some early records for those counties in Stevens County.
Stevens County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Stevens County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Stevens County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stevens Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Stevens Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Stevens Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Stevens County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Stevens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington Regional Archives, 960 Washington Street, Cheney, Washington 99004; Telephone: (509)235-7508. On the campus of Eastern Washington University in Cheney
- Northeast Washington Genealogical Society, c/o Colville Public Library, 195 S Oak,Colville, WA 99114. NeWGS holdings are located in the Colville Public Library.
- Stevens County Historical Society & Research Center, 700 N Wynne St, P.O. Box 25, Colville, WA 99114. Phone 509-684-5968. Maintains the Keller House & Stevens County Museum. Extensive collection of local history reference material, including family histories and county newspapers; research staff available for assistance.
- Stevens County Rural Library District, 4000 Cedar St, P.O. Box 744, Loon Lake, WA 99148. Phone 1-509-233-9621
- Colville Public Library, 195 S Oak, Colville, WA 99114. Phone 509-684-6620. Has Colville Examiner 1907-1947 on microfilm as well as large collection of local histories and genealogy collection donated by the Northeast Washington Genealogical Society.
- Colville Family History Center, 260 E Juniper, Colville, WA 99114. Phone: 509-685-0207. Hours Tuesday 10 am – 9 pm, Wednesday 1 pm – 9 pm, Thursday 10 am – 6 pm. Special holdings include Jesuit records of the Pacific Northwest Tribes for St. Ignatius Mission, St. Paul’s Mission and St. Francis Regis Mission on microfilm on indefinite loan.
- Stevens County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Stevens County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Stevens County (usgwarchives.net)
Stevens County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Stevens County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Stevens County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Stevens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 215 S Oak St., Colville WA 99114-2847
- Courthouse hours: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Stevens County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Land Records: 1883
- Stevens County Clerk
- Court Records: 1887
- Probate Records: 1882
Stevens County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Stevens County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Stevens County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.