Fremont County, Wyoming
Fremont County was established on March 05, 1884 from Sweetwater County. The county was named in honor of John C. Frémont (1813–1890), explorer, U.S. Senator for California, and the first presidential candidate of a major party to run on a platform in opposition to slavery.
Cities and towns located in Fremont County consists of Lander, Riverton, Dubois, Hudson, Pavillion, Shoshoni.
Fremont County vital records can be found at the Wyoming Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Wyoming for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Fremont County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Wyomong Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Fremont County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fremont Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Fremont Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Fremont Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free downloadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Fremont County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fremont County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Wyoming State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fremont County Genealogical Society, 1330 West Park Avenue, Riverton WY 82501
- Fremont County Historical Society, 630 Lincoln, Lander WY 82520
- Lander Genealogical Society, 1015 Black Blvd, Lander WY 82520
- Riverton Historical Society, 700 East Park Ave., Riverton WY 82501
- Wind River Historical Center, P.O. Box 896, 909 W Ramshorn, Dubois, WY 82513; (307) 455-2284
- Fremont County, Wyoming Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Fremont County, Wyoming Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Fremont County (usgwarchives.net)
Fremont County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the value of Fremont County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Wyoming courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of countless Wyoming inhabitants. The possibilities are very good that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least some facets of their lives in the Fremont County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
The below information and facts denotes what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Fremont County. The years suggested below tend to be the first recognized records data in this county.
- Fremont County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 450 N 2nd St, Lander, WY 82520
- Phone: (800) 967-2297
- Fremont County Clerk & Recorder’s Office
- Marriage Records: 1884
- Land Records: 1882
- Fremont County Clerk of District Court
- Probate Records: 1884
- Court Records: 1884
Fremont County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources related to Fremont County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Fremont County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.